Select Page

North Korea hacked into top-secret plans of military decapitation operations against the rogue nation’s top leaders, according to one South Korean lawmaker.

The South Korean Defence Ministry revealed hackers “presumed to be North Koreans” stole 235GB worth of documents while responding to a freedom of information request by Minjoo Party (Democratic Party) politician Rhee Cheol Hee.

The hackers, according to South Korean newspaper The Chosun Ilbo, obtained the documents by breaking into the military’s intranet and related networks in August and September last year.

Despite South Korean authorities previously claiming nothing of significance had leaked, reports have suggested Pyongyang gained access to OPLAN 5015 – South Korea’s combined operations with the United States in a full-scale war with North Korea.

The documents on military strategy were reportedly devised in 2015.

For President Trump, every possible military option in North Korea is bad

Image: President Trump warned North Korea ‘only one thing will work’

The Defence Ministry had only listed 53GB worth of the stolen data – about 10,700 documents or 22.5% of the total amount.

Along with OPLAN 5015, documents included OPLAN 3100 – a strategy for a response against commando infiltration or local provocation.

A contingency plan for the Special Warfare Command in the event of sudden changes in North Korea or a major provocation was also among the documents known to have been leaked.

Rhee told the paper: “I can’t reveal further details because they are a military secret.”

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un attends a performance held for participants of the ruling party's party meeting in this undated picture provided on December 29, 2016 Video: Kim Jong Un: Trump will ‘pay dearly’ for his threats

According to reports, the leaked files also include personnel reports of South Korean and American military officers and top secret minutes of meetings about South Korea-US military drills.

The leaks also contain information on military installations and power plants in South Korea.

The latest development comes amid months of growing tensions between the US and North Korea over its refusal to end its nuclear weapons programme.

It has resulted in an ongoing war of words between Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un.

At the weekend, the US leader said efforts with Pyongyang had broken down and that “only one thing will work”.

The swipe came after he threatened to “totally destroy” North Korea during his UN General Assembly address, insisting “the United States is ready, willing and able (to act), but hopefully this will not be necessary”.

The North Korean leader, who has continued to add to tensions with continued nuclear missile tests, addressed Mr Trump’s previous comments and insisted “a frightened dog barks louder”.

World News – Breaking international news and headlines | Sky News

Kenya's Raila Odinga quits election re-run
Weinstein claims 'indefensible' - Clooney
Show Buttons
Hide Buttons
More in World
Weinstein claims 'indefensible' – Clooney

Close